Monroe and Lenawee Counties Resources

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Legal Services of South Central Michigan (Monroe and Lenawee County) is closed to the public until further notice. If you need legal help, please call Legal Services at 734-241-8310 and leave a message. We continue to check voicemails, and we continue to work remotely.

This is a rapidly changing situation, and we will try to keep this page updated as we receive new information, so please keep checking for the latest developments. 

For information online about how COVID-19 might affect your common legal issues, visit this page at


Governor Whitmer has signed an executive order that stops almost all residential evictions in Michigan during the COVID-19 emergency. The order was initially in effect through April 17 and has been extended to May 15, 2020 by EO 2020-54. There is an exception that allows for the removal of tenants if they pose a substantial risk to another person or an imminent and severe risk to property. 

Unless extended, Lenawee County District court is closed to the public effective March 17 through April 12. Unless extended, Monroe County District court is closed to the public effective March 18 through April 10. Currently, all civil hearings for March and April, 2020 have been adjourned.

This means that there will be no evictions ordered and no eviction case hearings until the hold expires and the court is open to the public. This also means that, in most cases, your landlord cannot use a court order to physically remove you or your belongings from the property until after May 15.

Once the court resumes, you will get a notice from the court with your new hearing date. You can then call the court or check their website if you have questions. 


  • The moratorium does not release you from any obligations under your lease. This means you still owe your landlord any rent that becomes due during this period. 
  • It is illegal for your landlord to evict you without going to court and getting an eviction order. Your landlord cannot physically remove you or your belongings without a court order. If your landlord is trying to physically evict you without a court order, call 911 and then Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM) at (734) 241-8310. 
  • It is also illegal for your landlord to try to force you out in other ways, such as changing your locks, shutting off your utilities, or using force or threatening to use force to try to get you to leave. 
  • If you have a Section 8 voucher, live in a subsidized or public housing property, tell your voucher administrator or landlord immediately in writing if you lose income. Save a copy of the communication for yourself. 

Tenant Resources: 

  • If you have other questions about your rights or need legal assistance: 
  • Call Legal Services of South Central Michigan (LSSCM) at (734) 241-8310 or Visit includes information on the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on common legal issues. 
  • If you are behind on rent and need help, contact:
    • Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to apply for State Emergency Relief (SER):
      Call – (734) 243-1660 (Monroe County) or (517) 264-6300 (Lenawee County) or apply Online –
    • Monroe County Opportunity Program (MCOP)
    • Housing Help of Lenawee County

Food Assistance

Food Assistance Program (FAP) benefits through DHHS are being increased to the maximum level for March and April, and FAP work requirements are temporarily suspended

For a full list of local food resources in Lenawee County please visit: Lenawee Community Foundation Resource Guide

  • The Daily Bread of Lenawee is providing take-home meals Tuesday-Saturday from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (302 South Tecumseh St, Adrian, MI 49221)
  • Fishes and Loaves Food Pantry is open from 10:00-3:00 Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Call (517) 759-4421 to schedule an appointment.

For a full list of local food resources in Monroe County please visit: Monroe County Meals and Nutrition page

  • MCOP will be operating several mobile food pantries across the county. Call (734) 241-2775 for further information.

Unemployment filing

If you have lost your job, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits, apply online at,5863,7-336-78421_97241---,00.html

You can review this online toolkit for more information on how to apply.

Property Taxes

Governor Whitmer issued an executive order that extends the deadline to redeem property which was foreclosed due to nonpayment of past due property taxes from March 31st to May 29th or at least 30 days after the state of emergency ends, whichever is later. 

If you fall behind on your property taxes or your home was foreclosed for back property taxes: 

  • Contact your County Treasurer’s office to learn about your options. 
  • Apply for a 2020 Poverty Exemption from your property taxes from your city or township. 
  • Apply to Step Forward Michigan for assistance. You can apply online here
  • Apply for State Emergency Relief (SER) from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS):
    • Call – (734) 243-1660 (Monroe County or (517) 264-6300 (Lenawee County)
    • Apply Online –

If you are experiencing domestic violence:

Courts should allow you to request a personal protection order during the COVID related shut down. If you are told you cannot file a personal protection order please call our office at (734) 241-8310.

If you need counseling or a safe place to stay call:

  • Monroe County: Family Counseling and Shelter Services at (734) 241-0180.
  • Lenawee County: Catherine Cobb Safe House: (517) 265-5352

Lenawee County Resources:

Lenawee County’s Essential Needs Counsel has created a Facebook page with more information and resources in Lenawee County. If you have a Facebook account please search: Lenawee Essential Needs Council on Facebook.